Monday, May 9, 2011

GameDev Story

So last night I was originally planning on doing some streaming of Recettear or something, but before that I decided to play a little GameDev Story (links in the next paragraph). After a couple hours I decided I was just going to play all the way to the end of year 20 where the scores stop being reported to Game Center. I ended up taking quite a few hours and getting about 4 games of the year before the end of year 20, but the entire thing took quite a few hours. My iPod Touch's battery ran out during the time, so I had to plug it in to charge so that I could keep playing. This game is ridiculously addicting, and I'm afraid I need to keep myself from ever playing it again so that I don't get sucked into not following through with my plans.


For those that aren't familiar with what GameDev Story is, it's a game for iOS (and Android too I think) where you run a game development studio. You hire employees, keep them motivated, give them different jobs within the studio, and develop a bunch of games with an array of genres and game types. One of my best games from last night was an Action Ninja game. I also had an Online Sim History game that did quite well too for some reason. As the game progresses, different consoles come out, and developing for a console always results in better returns than developing for the PC, but they have higher licensing and development costs. Once you move in to a large office and develop a game that makes it into the "hall of fame" you can develop sequels. I would never have imagined that I would develop upwards of 10 sequels to my Checkers Board game, but they always sold well and would score very high in graphics if you can believe it. The game is pretty fun, especially for people who have a desire to some day work in the video game industry. You can develop all sorts of strange combinations, like Robot Trivia games.

If you do decide to pick up the game, please try to keep track of your life so that you don't lose it. This game is way more addicting than World of Warcraft.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree. I was going to play just "a little" yesterday and ended up leaving some chores behind and went to bed 1 am. Damn it.

    ReplyDelete