Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Windowed Gaming Woes

Yesterday, I saw that the Prince of Persia series was on sale on Steam, so I went ahead and picked up the games. I figured I could try streaming them to let my viewers have a different kind of game to watch. Also, I haven't actually played through any of those games yet. As you might be able to guess from my tone so far, I didn't actually get to stream any of the games. The main problem is that I can't stream a game that is fullscreen on my computer; it has to be windowed. As a result I spent the entire time of my stream last night trying to find a workaround to get the game into windowed mode. I tried something called UniWS (doesn't deal with windowed mode, but does make it widescreen), DXWnd (last updated 5+ years ago), and all forms of alt-enter or -window. It appears that there is no way to actually get the game into windowed mode at the current time.

However, there could be a sneaky work around by running the game in a virtual OS. I downloaded VirtualBox and installed Ubuntu 11.04 on it. Then I installed the 3d drivers from VirtualBox followed by installing wine and steam using wine. After that I mounted my steamapps directory so that I could copy the already downloaded Prince of Persia from my host machine to the virtual machine. Sadly, somewhere in this mix, the evidence of my graphics card didn't get passed down, so the PoP launcher claims that my graphics card doesn't have 3d capabilities. By the time I finished all of this it was nearly 3am, so I decided that I should get some sleep.

The plan for tonight is to try installing windows XP on VirtualBox to see if I can get it to work that way with one less layer of abstraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment