Wednesday, March 30, 2011

More about the 3ds

So I recently had someone ask me how the 3D images work on my 3ds. I explained something about the little slots in the screen that direct different pixels to each of your eyes to make things appear to have depth to them. Today I found an interesting article with microscope pictures of the 3ds screen: The 3DS Under a Microscope - Nukezilla. It pretty interesting to me that the bars dividing the slots are that big (in relation to the size of the pixels).

Another thing I noticed about the 3ds is that the aliasing of the 3D shapes seems to be even more exaggerated when the 3D is on. I think that comes from the way that the image is rendered twice from slightly different angles, so there are 2 chances for jaggies on the edges. Where a normal rasterized image only has the chance for aliasing once, the 3ds has aliasing for both eyes, and, in particular, the jaggies don't line up and cause an extra level of visual confusion that isn't there for movie images (because of very aggressive anti-aliasing for computer generated images).

No comments:

Post a Comment