Wednesday, January 30, 2013

League of Legends (Ranked)

I know I've talked a lot about how much I dislike League of Legends, and there are still a lot of things that I don't like about the game (and the developer). However, I decided to give the game a shot again after more than a year of not playing it (my last games were in December of 2011) in order to play with my brother who has continued playing occasionally. That means I missed the entirety of season 2 and whatever happened in season 2, including the changes to items and all of the new heroes (I refuse to call them champions any more; they're heroes).

The main thing I noticed about coming back to League of Legends is how toxic the community is. It's really ridiculous that I communicate openly with the team, describing what I don't understand and the things I need help in (items and matchups mostly), only to be flamed incessantly for being the worst <insert hero I'm playing> they've ever seen. Interestingly, after a good 5 games of being flamed, my next game I was complimented as being the best support (Sona) they'd ever seen. Now I don't know what Riot should (or could) do to attempt to solve the problem with the community, but I've never dealt with this kind of abuse in Dota 2. HoN seems to be similarly angry about things.

Anyway, I have played a number of ranked games in the last week or so, and right now my profile reports an Elo of 1151. I recognize this isn't a pro ranking or anything, but I believe that 1200 is roughly the 50% mark, so I'm only slightly below the average of all people who play the game, even after taking a year off. I should also mention that I had only played a single ranked game before last week, so the ban and picking procedure was brand new to me. I do have a real job, and a real social life on top of the games I play, so I probably won't be playing anywhere near as much as other gamers. However, at the present time, I plan to play and stream League of Legends ranked games at least a couple times a week as I get a chance. If I can convince some of my RL friends to play on a team, I might even attempt to coordinate a 5v5 team too.

To give you a taste of how bad I am, here's a ranked game where I played Malphite in the jungle because somehow both sides forgot to ban him.

No comments:

Post a Comment