Friday, April 29, 2011

Razer Carcharias Test

Two days ago, the audio in my stream had an obnoxious clicking sound that I was able to trace to the microphone input. I've been using a cheap $20 headset and mic that I got more than 3 years ago so I figured it might be time to upgrade to something a little better. I read a bunch of reviews online and decided that the Razer Carcharias would be worth trying out so I went to Best Buy and picked one up. The headphone part was fine and was definitely nicer than what I had at home. However, the problem I was trying to solve was getting a better microphone sound for my stream. It turns out that the microphone on the Razer Carcharias is worse than the one on the cheap set and does a worse job of picking up my voice. In addition, I found a lot more static in the signal coming from the Carcharias mic, so I decided to return them.

This morning before I returned them, I gave my old set another try, and the clicking noise was gone from the mic. My recommendation would be to only get a Razer Carcharias if you don't care too much about the microphone and plan to only use it for gaming with the occasional communication through steam, ventrilo or teamspeak.

No comments:

Post a Comment