Thursday, February 2, 2012

New Minecraft Server

Earlier this week, I built a new computer with parts purchased from newegg (and an SSD and HDD I had sitting around). The parts I got include the following:

  • CPU: AMD FX-4100 4 Core (3.6 GHz) $109.99
  • MOBO: MSI 760GM-E51 $69.99
  • MEM: Patriot 1333 DDR3 4x4GB $69.98
  • CASE: Antec Three Hundred + 430W PSU $69.99
  • HDD: 1TB (not sure of the details)
  • SSD: Intel 160GB
  • DVD+RW stolen from my old Compaq
The total cost including shipping but not the drives came to $327.28. I installed Ubuntu 11.10 on the SSD and I use the HDD for minecraft server backups (daily at 3am). One of the first things I did after putting everything together was to overclock the CPU to 4.0 GHz by increasing the multiplier from 18x to 20x. There's something satisfying about having a computer running at 4 GHz. I haven't had a chance to play on the Minecraft server much, but it appears to be a bit better than my old machine which only had 2GB of DDR2 and an old Athlon X2 5000.

Running a Terraria server on my linux machine is a new thing for me, so I don't have all the scripts in place yet. However, I found it relatively simple to get TShock to work by just installing the new version of the mono runtime. Once I get my scripts in place to make it easier for me to start and stop my two terraria worlds remotely, I'll consider posting a version of the script for other people to use if they are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment