Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Planetside 2

I recently saw Planetside 2 on Steam and decided to give it a whirl. It turns out, this is the first real MMO-FPS game I've tried and I found it very interesting. First, you choose one of 3 factions on which to fight along with which of the 6-12 (if I remember correctly) servers to play on. Then you choose one of 5 classes to play (flyer, fighter, healer, reloader, sniper) and a spot to spawn on the battlefield. The spawns are almost always right next to some fighting, so you are very quickly placed into some action.

As it was my first experience with the game, I ran around shooting guys and dying a lot. Then I noticed that there are tons of vehicles flying and driving around. It appears that one of the main strategic actions in the game is to take a troop transport vehicle near an opposing base and deploy it to allow your team to spawn there until it gets destroyed. If you are attempting to defend a base, it's almost certainly a good idea to find where those spawning trucks are and destroy them as soon as possible. However, the majority of players really just seem to swarm all over the objectives, spending much of their time shooting the other team in the face.

For a first time player, I like how easily you can get in and play. For extended play, I'm unsure how well upgrades serve to keep the gameplay interesting. I'm also concerned that the weapons and progression may require too much grinding to really make it worth my while to keep playing long term. Still, I think the game is worth a couple play sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment