Monday, November 12, 2012

Towns (Steam Greenlight)

So this last week I saw a game that had recently been greenlit on Steam Greenlight called Towns. Now Towns is a game that is quite similar to Castle Story in a lot of ways, but with a number of differences. First, Towns in it's current alpha state has a lot more content than Castle Story in it's alpha state. That is, there are a lot more things to find and do in Towns. However, even though Castle Story has buggy building construction, Towns somehow manages to have even worse building construction. As both games are in alpha still, neither is really user friendly or good at directing the user to understand the interface and which things should be done.

One thing I've started doing in Towns, is to set a few commands for my town citizens to follow, then walk away and let them live their lives to see what they've done when I come back. Most of the time, I've come back to a ghost town where literally all of the town citizens have been killed and ghosts have spawned from their corpses. However, as I've managed to set up a fairly well armed standing army, the last couple attempts I've been able to return to a town population that was even greater than the one when I left. Right now my recommendation would be towns over castle story, just because there is more content in towns so far. It'll be interesting to see both of these games progress to see how much fun they can be when they are finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment