Friday, April 13, 2012

Treasures of Montezuma Blitz

This last week, a new game was released on the playstation network for playstation Vita that is free to download and play, at least initially. This game is not in fact a gift to players as the term "Free to Play" seems to indicate, but instead has micro-transactions that allow you to get ahead in the game. If you've tried bejeweled blitz on any platform, this game is basically the same idea. You get 60 seconds to match 3 as many times as you can to get the best score you can. 

I've actually been really enjoying playing this game, and I find the 60 second play sessions easy to fit into my life. I also personally like how the number of lives is limited, but that they refill over time. This encourages me to go do something productive after I spend 5 minutes playing. Of course someone that doesn't have other things to do, might be tempted to spend $0.99 to instantly refill the 5 lives to continue playing, but that option does not interest me at all.

My main complaint about the game is the gem system. Each round you can generate a number of gems based on your performance. However, the special abilities that you unlock as you level up cost a number of gems to use in each game, and this number is typically way lower than the number of gems generated from playing the game. As a result, I tend to just play the game with all of the bonuses turned off all the time, making me wonder why they are even in the game if I can't use them. Other than the customization being useless, this is a decent way to casually play a few minutes of "Match 3" ever now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment