Thursday, June 7, 2012

My opinion of E3 2012

This year's E3 seems to have been less exciting than I would have liked. For me (as a computer engineer), the biggest thing missing from Nintendo's presentation was any discussion of what the actually computation units will be. Sure it'll use an IBM multi-core processor and a AMD Radeon GPU, but those were expected partnerships and they don't really say much at all about what the actual computation units will look like. Based on current trends and the lack of information about the memory, I think it's safe to assume that the Wii U will use DDR3 RAM, though it could use DDR2 depending on the exact chipsets they're using. I don't particularly think the amount of RAM they have is as important as the type of memory they use, and I think consoles have greater flexibility of using more exotic memory technology, so I would have liked to see them toying around with a partnership with RAMBUS or some other unique memory technology.

As for the things that were announced, there will be a bunch of new games coming out in the next year. The ones I'm most excited about (that weren't necessarily the ones announced at the convention) include Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, SimCity, Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, Bioshock Infinite, and World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria. You may notice that much of my list are PC games, and that's because I really enjoy having a decent gaming PC that I maintain, and I enjoy good games that use a mouse well.

No comments:

Post a Comment